Accreditation Examples: Sustainability and Ethical Activities
In order to achieve BGCI Accreditation, applicants are required to implement a number of sustainability and ethical activities and provide evidence of these in their application.
Examples of sustainability and ethical activities (this list is not exhaustive):
- Sustainability plan/documentation
- Waste reduction, recycling schemes, or composting in place and on display to the public with appropriate interpretation
- Renewable energy constitutes a proportion of the garden’s energy portfolio and energy conservation measures being implemented
- Water saving or recycling schemes in place
- ISO14001 or other recognised sustainability accreditation gained
- Responsible sourcing of commodities and products sold in retail outlets
- Responsible sourcing of materials and plants used by the organisation
- Ethical funding policy in place
- Leadership commitment to staff and visitor diversity and inclusion
- Ecological sustainability in landscape management (e.g. fertiliser use, pesticide application, etc…)
Below you will find examples of evidence for sustainability and ethical activities submitted by successful BGCI Accreditation applicants.
Eden Project Sustainability PolicyServices for Botanic Gardens / Tool / English
Garden in the Woods Solar PanelsServices for Botanic Gardens / Tool / English
Garden in the Woods Sustainability Action PlanServices for Botanic Gardens / Tool / English
National Botanic Garden of Wales Enviornmental and Sustainability PolicyServices for Botanic Gardens / Tool / English
National Botanic Garden of Wales Grey Water RecyclingServices for Botanic Gardens / Tool / English
National Botanic Garden of Wales Water Source Heat PumpServices for Botanic Gardens / Tool / English
North Carolina Botanical Garden Green Events PolicyServices for Botanic Gardens / Tool / English
OKC Zoo Composting ProtocolServices for Botanic Gardens / Tool / English
United States Botanic Garden Green Team New Employee ChecklistServices for Botanic Gardens / Tool / English
You can support our plant conservation efforts by sponsoring membership for small botanic gardens, contributing to the Global Botanic Garden Fund, and more!
Become a Member
Be part of the largest network of botanic gardens and plant conservation experts in the world by joining BGCI today!