BGCI / IOS Cactus and Succulent Plant Survey
Homepage | Background | How you can help | Get started.... | What we will do with the results | Contact details
Botanic Gardens Conservation International (BGCI) and the International Organisation for Succulent Plant Study (IOS) are collaborating on an exciting project to review the conservation status of ex situ collections of cactus and succulent plants.
We are conducting an international survey that we anticipate will help move towards the safeguarding of some of the most threatened cacti and succulent taxa in the world.
If you are interested in participating in the survey please email firstname.lastname@example.org
With your help, we aim to:
- Collect and maintain a shared record of the content of ex situ cactus and succulent collections
- Use this record to assess the conservation value of collections based on factors such as accession policy, rarity of species in the wild and in cultivation, access to material and willingness to exchange propagation material (CBD and CITES agreements will be reflected at all times)
- Assist collection holders to assess and recognize the resource value of their collections
- Identify priority species for conservation action
- Promote collaboration between collection holders
- Assist collection holders with plant identification or verification via contacts with IOS experts
- Promote good practice in the documentation and secure labelling
If you are an enthusiastic cacti and/or succulent collection holder please join our effort to further the conservation of these important plants!
To find out more information about the study click here
To find out how you can contribute click here