Membership and Conservation Services Officer - BGCI
BGCI is seeking to appoint an individual to implement BGCI’s Membership Programme, coordinate communications with members, and provide conservation services for members and the conservation community. Candidates for this post will have track record in conservation, preferably in plant conservation, and ideally in the NGO sector. The post holder will demonstrate sensitivity to complex, multicultural and multinational institutions and structures.
The Membership and Conservation Services Officer will:
Implement BGCI’s Membership Programme. This will involve:
- Managing and implementing BGCI Membership Programme through BGCI’s Customer Relationship Management (CRM) system, including responsibility for ensuring that contact details are updated, interactions with members are recorded, memberships are renewed and paid.
- Managing and developing BGCI’s Member’s App via BGCI’s CRM and ensuring integration with BGCI’s website, databases and other platforms.
- Co-ordinating the membership activities of other staff.
Coordinate communications with members. This will involve:
- Moderating BGCI’s Online Forum.
- Gathering information for BGCI’s Annual Member’s Review.
- Co-ordinating member’s correspondence, responding to requests for information and support.
- Communicating with members (e.g. sending out BGCI Member’s Newsletter, BGCI publications, notifications etc.).
Provide conservation services for BGCI Members and the community. This will involve:
- Implementing, coordinating, and supporting conservation-oriented services BGCI provides to its members, including BGCI’s Accreditation Scheme, Global Botanic Garden Fund, Directory of Expertise, and other conservation-oriented services.
- Completing and collaborating with relevant BGCI staff on collections assessments.
- Encouraging use of PlantSearch and GardenSearch by BGCI Members and other botanic gardens.
- Compiling and analysing data from PlantSearch and GardenSearch.
- Undertake other work as may be required in the post e.g. arranging member’s visits, chairing staff meetings on rotation etc.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- A graduate level qualification in science, environment, heritage, education or another relevant discipline
- Knowledge of botanic gardens, nature conservation, zoos, museums or related disciplines ideally gained through direct personal experience
- Experience in interacting with international organisations and individuals
- Perfect mastery of English, both oral and written combined with excellent presentational abilities
- At least 2 years’ experience in a conservation organisation, managing members or partnerships
- Experience of working for a not-for-profit organisation
- Experience of managing budgets and setting financial priorities
SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES
- Knowledge of conservation approaches and methodologies
- Website CMS expertise (WordPress)
- Experience in using a Customer Relationship Management (CRM) database
- Command of additional languages
- Knowledge of database development
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates should send your CV and with a cover letter of two pages maximum, explaining your motivation and providing concrete evidence of why you are suitable for the position.
The deadline for submission is 25 January 2021. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
SUMMARY, TERMS AND CONDITIONS
The post is offered on a 3-year fixed term contract with the possibility of extension. The role will be subject to a 3-month probationary period. The post is a full-time position, based on a 35-hour working week at BGCI headquarters in Kew. Salary is £22,500 – £30,000 dependent on skills and experience. Remote working will be in operation during lockdown and further based on agreements with line management.
Become a Member
Be part of the largest network of botanic gardens and plant conservation experts in the world by joining BGCI today!
Calling all Experts
As a membership benefit exclusively for BGCI Institutional Members, staff associated with these institutions can apply for inclusion in BGCI's Directory of Expertise.