Our people listing
BGCI International Advisory Council
BGCI’s International Advisory Council provides independent advice to the Board of BGCI.
The purpose of such advice is to assist in meeting the objectives of BGCI and to offer advice on BGCI’s programmes for the implementation of the International Agenda for Botanic Gardens in Conservation, contributing to the achievement of the Global Strategy for Plant Conservation.
The responsibilities of the Council include the following:
- providing broad strategic advice on the direction, balance and relevance of BGCI’s 5 –year strategic plan, programmes and priorities;
- supporting the BGCI Executive with advice on Congress themes and venues;
- providing advice on the effectiveness, relevance and quality of the BGCI programmes worldwide;
- providing a challenge function to ensure that the basis of BGCI’s programmes are consistent with its mandate and the needs of its members;
- reviewing and advising on emerging trends and opportunities in global context;
- providing advice on partnerships and strategic linkages between BGCI and other relevant bodies at all levels, nationally and internationally;
- providing support for BGCI’s fund-raising efforts, including hosting donors and developing content for fund-raising materials;
- acting as an advocate and ambassador for BGCI and the botanic garden sector more generally, particularly with policymakers and funders;
- acting as an advocate for botanic gardens in a particular geographic, linguistic or cultural region or discipline.
Gerard Donnelly is the President and CEO of The Morton Arboretum. He led the establishment of ArbNet and the Chicago Region Trees Initiative.
South African National Biodiversity Institute (SANBI)
Director at Jardín Botánico ‘Carlos Thays’, Argentina
Executive Director at United States Botanic Garden, USA
Vice-president of Botanical Gardens of France and Francophone countries at Muséum National d’Histoire Naturelle, France
Director at Royal Botanic Gardens Kew, UK
Director and Chief Executive at Royal Botanic Gardens Victoria, Australia
Head of Flora Conservation at Kadoorie Farm and Botanic Garden, Hong Kong, China
President and CEO at Chicago Botanic Garden, USA
Executive Director at Shanghai Chenshan Botanical Garden, China
Director at The National Botanic Gardens of Ireland, Ireland
Director at Xishuangbanna Tropical Botanical Garden, CAS, China
External Cooperation Team at Baekdudaegan National Arboretum, South Korea
DD/Library, Training & Ext. Relations at Singapore Botanic Garden, Singapore
Institute of Botany, Ilia State University, Georgia
Director at Conservatoire et Jardin botaniques de la Ville de Genève, Switzerland
Coordinator of the National Center for Plant Conservation – CNCFlora at Brazilian National Centre for Flora Conservation – CNCFlora, Brazil
Anna and Hays Mershon President and Chief Executive Officer at Atlanta Botanical Garden. USA
Regius Keeper at Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh, UK
Director of Beijing Botanical Garden
Director at South China Botanical Garden, China
Chief at Cadereyta Regional Botanic Garden, Mexico
Director of Shanghai Botanical Garden
Igor Smirnov manages BGCI’s efforts in Russia and is a member of the Russian Council of Botanic Gardens.
Director Research & Chief Botanist at The Royal Botanic Garden, Sydney, Australia
Executive Director at The Royal Botanic Garden of Jordan
Director of Horticulture at Royal Horticultural Society, UK
Peter Wyse Jackson is the Director of Missouri Botanical Garden and George Englemann Professor of Botany, Washington University in St. Louis. In 1987, he joined IUCN where he helped to establish the international network organization for botanic gardens that became BGCI.
President, Director, & Chief Executive Officer at National Tropical Botanical Garden, USA
Director of Fairylake Botanical Garden, Shenzhen, China
You can support our plant conservation efforts by sponsoring membership for small botanic gardens, contributing to the Global Botanic Garden Fund, providing corporate sponsorship, and more!
Become a Member
Be part of the largest network of botanic gardens and plant conservation experts in the world by joining BGCI today!