Job title: Biodome opportunities
Organisation: JP Trett Ltd
Location: United Kingdom
Job description: JP Trett Ltd are proud to partner a very respectable and prestigious client in the Middle East who has developed a brand new Biodome Research Complex with various climates contained within various zones. With a large scale Environmental Biodome Development, key personnel are required to ensure the smooth operation and management of this fantastic project:
THE HEAD OF THE BIODOME should ensure that the plant collections are well managed through proper plant care and horticultural practice, acquisition of new plants and generation of information related to the collections.
Reporting to the Operations Manager you will be responsible for a team of professional Horticulturalists and Environmentalists capable of working in these superb Biomes and able to communicate and educate as they work. The position requires a flexible person capable of performing a wide variety of tasks related to the function and care of a botanical garden.
•Plan and supervise plant management and maintenance in all three Biodomes •Maintain records of plant management and maintenance activities •Maintain and update plant identification labels •Serve as a horticultural and botanical resource •Provide technical information and guidance on botany and horticulture to staff •Perform additional duties and or assume additional responsibilities as delegated by the Director of Facilities •Directly supervise 5 employees •Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies •Responsibilities include training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; addressing complaints and resolving problem •Develops operational budgets and ensure efficient cost control in coordination with finance department of the organization
REQUIREMENTS AND QUALIFICATIONS
•PhD in horticulture with 5 years of experience or MSc. in horticulture with a minimum of 10 years of experience •Must have strong field experience and horticultural technical skill •Must have leadership skills, be well organized, be a team player with good interpersonal skills, have good written and oral communication skills; be capable and willing to perform a wide variety of tasks •Fluent in office and database software
Reporting to The Head of the Biodome THE HEAD HORTICULTURALIST will be in charge of ensuring that horticultural activities are implemented according to set management plans, policies, and procedures. You will maintain horticultural standards for the care and preservation of the collections and will also ensure optimal yield by establishing, monitoring, and maintaining production standards. You will consult with and be guided by the advice of the supervisor for pest control and fertigation and will be committed to protect the collections from vandalism, theft, fire, and poor handling and other abuses.
KEY OBJECTIVE: Ensure that plant collections are healthy and productive in all three biodomes
• Orchard management including pruning and other horticultural plant care activities that result in optimal yield for each plant.
• Trouble shoot problems related to plant performance and productivity
• Monitor and maintain horticultural standards in the biodome
• Practice horticultural activities following seasonal requirements (pruning, fruit pruning, etc..)
• Supervise and work with gardeners assigned to the biodomes and keep area clean and tidy
• Implement seasonal planting of annuals, perennials, grasses, and bulbs as needed
• Lead seasonal landscape work including pruning, clean-up, bulb planting, dividing and transplanting, leaf removal, etc..
• Scout for and report pest and disease
• Maintenance of all flower beds; this shall include weeding, mulching, fertilizing, planting out and replacing as necessary and at the correct time.
• Directly supervise 5 gardeners or more as assigned by management
• Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies
GENERAL REQUIREMENTS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
• MSc. in horticulture with 2 or more years of experience; or BSc. in horticulture with 5-7 years of experience
• Evidence of practical experience in orchard management
• Evidence of knowledge of plant culture, maintenance, and identification
• Ability to physically handle most horticultural activities necessary for the maintenance of an optimal production in the biodome
• Ability to work with and supervise a small team of gardeners
• Must be a team player, willing to collaborate on any and all tasks required for maintaining the highest standards of landscape management and operations
• Must be capable of producing written reports
• Fluent in office and plants database software
THE GARDENERS of the Biodome will perform the necessary horticultural activities needed to maintain the plant collections productivity and health.
Reporting to the Head Gardener you will implement production standards and protocols as instructed and be committed to protect the collections.
•Perform all horticultural activities as assigned by Head gardener.
•Keep the Biodome clean and tidy.
•Perform all horticultural including planting, pruning, weeding, raking, fertilizing, applying pesticides, collecting fruits and other edible plant parts and irrigating.
•Perform activities that ensure cleanliness of the Biodome including sweeping paths, collecting trash, and cleaning and maintaining hardscape features as instructed.
REQUIREMENTS AND QUALIFICATIONS
•Evidence of experience in horticultural activities in fruit tree orchards.
•Evidence of experience in using horticultural tools and equipment •Degree/Certification in horticulture preferred •Must be a team-player, willing to collaborate on any and all tasks required for maintaining the highest standards of landscape management and operations
JP Trett Ltd advises all Candidates that employment screening is a mandatory part of the Clients recruitment process and risk management framework. Further, we have agreed to advise all Candidates that employment screening may include, but is not limited to, checking of the following: criminal history (whether in the UAE or the Candidate's home country, or elsewhere); academic qualifications; professional qualifications and memberships; credit rating; immigration status; CCJ (County Court Judgement)/bankruptcy checks; directorships; anti-money laundering and global sanctions lists; and any additional matters considered to be relevant to, or required for, a particular role. Employment screening may be conducted for the client by a third party vendor and the client reserves the right to supply any such third party vendors with any and all details and information regarding the Candidate supplied by JP Trett Ltd. We must make Candidates aware that they will be required to provide consent for a third party vendor to conduct these required checks in order to continue with the recruitment process. Reference Checks: JP Trett will conduct proper Candidate reference checks and will provide the client with at least two business references which may also be checked by the client.
Closing date for applications: 03/05/2014
Link to website: www.jptrett.com
Back to jobs list