Botany in Action Fellowship CFP - Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Gardens
Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Gardens
Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Botany in Action Fellowship CFP: field research funding + science engagement via a botanic garden
Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Gardens (Pittsburgh, PA) is currently accepting proposals for its 2014 Botany in Action Fellowship program, which fosters the development of a next generation of plant-based scientists who are committed, first, to excellent research, and second, to educational outreach.
Open to PhD students enrolled at US graduate institutions and conducting plant-based scientific field research, the BIA program provides each Fellow with:
1) $5,000 for use towards research-related expenses at sites in the US or abroad (including expenses for travel, food, housing, field and laboratory supplies, and software),
2) an all-expenses paid trip to Phipps, to engage in science outreach training and opportunities to translate and communicate his or her research to non-scientific, public audiences through written, visual and/or oral means, and
3) subsequent opportunities to connect his or her research with the public through programs, exhibits, and other outreach venues.
BIA Fellowship research priorities (listed in no particular order):*
- Ethnobotany, with special interest in plant use for physical and/or psychological well-being;
- Diversity and conservation, particularly in regional (southwest Pennsylvania and tri-state area) and tropical forests;
- Landscape and brownfield restoration, particularly in plant-based ecosystem services;
- Sustainable landscapes.
*For 2014, special consideration will be given to research in the following areas (listed in no particular order):
- Ethnobotany and/or plant-based conservation in central Africa;
- Plant-based ecosystem services for landscape and brownfield restoration;
- Sustainable landscapes in the US, particularly applicable to the southwest Pennsylvania and tri-state area.
Learn more about Phipps, the BIA fellowship program, and how to apply at:
PhippsBotanyinAction.org and phipps.conservatory.org/project-green-heart/botany-in-action
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Jan 15, 2014
Closing date: 15/01/2014
Back to jobs list