> Gila Resources Information Project - Program Associate USA
Gila Resources Information Project - Program Associate USA
Applications Due June 21, 2013
New Mexico, USA
This is an exciting opportunity to work with a dynamic environmental organization and help promote Gila River conservation, water quality protection, and environmental sustainability in southwestern New Mexico. The Gila Resources Information Project (GRIP) will hire a three-quarters-time (30 hours/week) Program Associate to advocate for a free-flowing Gila River and responsible mining at Grant County mines and to encourage informed public participation in natural resource use decisions.
The Program Associate will work closely with and report to the Executive Director of the Gila Resources Information Project (www.gilaresources.info), a non-profit environmental organization that promotes community health by protecting our environment and natural resources in Southwestern New Mexico. The Program Associate will also work with the Advisory Board of the Gila Conservation Coalition (www.gilaconservation.org), a partnership of three conservation organizations, GRIP, Upper Gila Watershed Alliance, and Center for Biological Diversity, that works together to protect the free-flow of the Gila River and the wilderness characteristics of the Gila and Aldo Leopold Wilderness areas.
Responsible Mining (5 hours/week)
- Communicates with regulators to develop and maintain relationship with NM Environment Department and Mining and Minerals Division Staff; Communicates with Freeport-McMoRan and develops and maintains relationship with staff and contractors.
- Prepares comments on mine permits, work plans, etc. and provides testimony at hearings as needed.
- Activates grassroots and grasstops support for responsible mining initiatives through outreach and education activities.
Gila Conservation Coalition (20 hours/week)
- Mobilize grassroots and grasstops support for Gila River protection efforts through outreach and education activities.
- Membership development (5 hours/week)
- Maintain membership databases for GRIP and GCC.
- Implement fundraising activities, such as appeal letters, fundraising events, etc.
The successful candidate will have demonstrated knowledge and experience in the areas of environmental advocacy and community organizing; familiarity with environmental and other regulatory processes in New Mexico (i.e., Water Quality Act, Mining Act); competent with word processing, database management, presentation software (i.e., Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and social media; and proven capability with public outreach and event coordination. The ideal candidate is a self-starter with strong communications and organizational skills, is detail oriented, can work as part of a team, and thrive in a fast-paced environment.
Valid driver’s license and personal vehicle as travel throughout New Mexico will be necessary.
$25K annual salary for ¾ time (30 hours/week). This position is funded by grants through 2014. Continuation of this position in subsequent years is contingent on additional funding.
How to apply:
Submit a resume, three references, letter of interest and brief writing sample to the Gila Resources Information Project at firstname.lastname@example.org by June 21, 2013.
Gila Resources Information Project is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Gila Resources Information Project
305A North Cooper Street
Silver City, NM 88061
Back to Job List