Project Director - Horticulturalist, Abu Dhabi
We are seeking a highly qualified, experienced and motivated female Horticulturist with extensive management experience for a new and exciting project in Abu Dhabi. An iconic greenhouse complex is in the process of development, made up of three independently climate-controlled and internally landscaped biomes connected by a central atrium, covering an area of approximately 7500 m2. One biome will have a tropical climate, the second a Mediterranean climate, and the third will be vernalised (with a two-month chilling period) in order to enable the production of northern temperate fruit and vegetable crops. The purpose of the project is to provide a pleasant space and an educational experience for visitors, while producing a wide range of crops. The plant collection will comprise a wide selection of species and varieties, combining botanical interest with productive horticulture.
The project will also eventually include an external landscaped garden of approximately 1 hectare surrounding the greenhouse complex; hard landscaping design for this area is completed.
- Lead the design and execution of Greenhouse and external landscape planting as per client brief.
- Manage and maintain the Greenhouse plant collection, landscape, climate control and irrigation systems, integrated pest management system, and housekeeping.
- Manage resources and finances to ensure maximum efficiency in planning and execution.
- Manage and co-ordinate procurement and supplies.
- Recruit, manage, monitor, guide and train staff with an efficient and effective greenhouse operation plan.
- Manage workplace personnel, health and safety, and institute and maintain operational systems and policies as required.
- Manage the propagation and production of a wide range of fruit and vegetable crops.
- Manage the plant records database system and the production of labels and interpretative material for the collection as necessary.
- Extensive experience in botanic gardens, large private estate, highly diversified commercial nursery or similar institution. At least 10 years hands on experience with a wide range of plant material will be required.
- Familiarity with modern protected cropping technology.
- Horticultural degree, RHS Level 3 qualification or equivalent.
- Excellent communication, leadership and business skills. Proven ability to work as part of a team.
- Significant experience at senior management level within a horticultural environment.
- Knowledge of productive horticulture, especially in northern temperate fruit crops, will be a major advantage.
Candidates should apply ASAP to Alexandra Scholes with an up to date word CV at firstname.lastname@example.org
First interviews will commence soon.
Back to jobs list