Resource centre > Fundraising Officer - World Parks Congress Switzerland
Fundraising Officer - World Parks Congress Switzerland
Global Protected Areas Programme
Location: Headquarters, Gland, Switzerland
The IUCN World Parks Congress (WPC) is a once in 10 year event with several thousand participants that brings together the global constituency of governments and non-governmental organisations, professionals and managers to define the agenda and to achieve breakthroughs for funding and implementation of protected area mandates globally. The 2014 WPC will take place in Sydney, Australia in November 2014.
The Fundraising Officer will play a lead role in fundraising for the WPC, including the development of selected partnerships and financial support from the private sector, charitable Foundations, bilateral and multilateral agencies, IUCN Member organizations, as well as private individuals. The Fundraising Officer will report to the Director, Global Protected Areas Programme and work closely with the IUCN WPC management team, the World Commission on Protected Areas (WCPA) and the Heads of IUCN Programmes to develop and execute a fundraising strategy that aims at raising funds both for the WPC event and for IUCN’s programmatic work.
The incumbent has a functional reporting line to the Head, Strategic Partnerships and will work closely with the Strategic Partnerships Team on all aspects of fundraising as well as with the Business and Biodiversity Programme for selected private sector partnerships. A minimum fundraising target has been set at CHF 3 million to be raised to cover direct Congress organizational costs and programme development and participation in the WPC.
SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
2. Develop a sponsor/donor recognition programme.
3. Research, target and establish contacts with potential corporate and other sponsors for the Congress based on:
4. Define and implement partnership strategies which may include the following components:
5. Liaise and coordinate with the Host Country regarding international and domestic fundraising efforts to maximise efficiency and results, and serve as IUCN Secretariat’s main interface with the Host Country on fundraising.
6. Assist IUCN Regional Offices in securing funding for sponsored participants from their regions.
7. Work with ODA donors and charitable Foundations to identify and secure Congress funding.
8. Work with the IUCN Global Communications team in the design of information material for potential donors.
9. Develop and deliver compelling presentations tailored to the needs of potential donors.
10. Work with Heads of Global Programmes to showcase critical issues related to the strategic direction of the WPC.
11. Ensure donor and sponsor needs are met, manage partnerships toward success for both parties, and ensure that sponsors and donors receive appropriate recognition before, during and after the Congress.
• Minimum 7 years of experience in a fundraising position.
• Proven experience and success in fundraising, ideally with a focus on corporate fundraising.
• Masters degree or equivalent in marketing or related field.
• Fluency in spoken English; knowledge of Spanish and/or French would be an asset.
• Excellent written communication skills in English.
• Understanding of IUCN and environmental community highly desirable.
• Good knowledge of Word, Excel and database interface.
• Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills; ability to work independently as well as part of a team.
• Ability to work under pressure.
• Availability to work flexible hours (nights and weekends) if required (particularly as the Congress dates approach).
• High degree of flexibility and ability to travel regularly.
Applicants will be asked to create an account and submit their profile information. Applications will not be accepted after the closing date. The vacancy closes at midnight, Swiss time (GMT+1 / GMT+2 during Daylight Saving Time, DST).
Other job opportunities are published in the IUCN website: http://www.iucn.org/involved/jobs/