A travel bursary for a student of dendrology or full-time employee to join the IDS tour to Hungary
The International Dendrology Society (www.dendrology.org ) is offering a travel bursary for a student of dendrology or full-time employee under 30 years of age to join the IDS tour to Hungary in September 2019. This person would join a group of 20-30 IDS members, led by a member of the IDS Tours Committee. IDS members are either knowledgeable amateurs, often with their own arboretum or park, or professionals responsible for arboreta and parks from all over the world. The tour will start and end in Budapest, and will visit botanic gardens, public and private arboreta, a castle and a nursery. This is an outstanding opportunity.
The bursary will cover all accommodation, insurance, meals and travel within Hungary. It will also cover travel to and from London, or the equivalent sum if the successful applicant is not travelling from London; however some long haul flights may not be able to be covered entirely.
For further information about the tour, see the attached PDF document.
Applicants who have been unsuccessful in previous years are invited to apply again.
The successful applicant must:
- Be a student of botany or horticulture or employed full time in a botanic garden, private garden or similar organisation, and be under 30 years of age on 17th Dec 2018.
- Have good spoken English
- Be primarily studying woody plants
- Be able to help with botanical and identification issues while on the tour
- Have an outgoing and friendly personality
- If possible write a blog during the tour, ideally illustrated with photographs, which then can be used in a report for the IDS Yearbook. It is one of the conditions of the Bursary that the successful applicant will anyway write up the tour for the IDS Yearbook. The IDS is happy for the tour report to be written in English, French, German or Italian, and will arrange if necessary for the report to be translated for the Yearbook.
Send a CV with a written personal statement saying why you should be chosen for this bursary, together with a recommendation from your institute of study or employer, either from the head of the institute or from the person in charge of the study of woody plants, or the arboretum.
Send these documents via email to the Chairman of the Scientific & Education Committee of the IDS, Antonia Johnson, at Kingwell House, Timsbury, Bath, BA2 0HH, UK; email firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications must be received no later than 17th December 2018. Interviews will take place in London during January or early February 2019, or by Skype.
The student will be chosen by the Chairman of the Scientific & Education Committee, the Chairman of the Tours Committee, the Chairman of the IDS, the leader of the tour, and a botanist who is a member of the S&E Committee. The successful applicant will be informed by 22nd February 2019, and must accept by 11th March 2019. Unsuccessful applicants will be informed after that date.