3rd Science in Botanic Gardens Congress - call for papers
The 3rd Science in Botanic Gardens Congress is being organised by:
The Jardin Botanico Viera y Clavijo del Cabildo de Gran Canaria, UNESCO/UNITWIN Chair for Plant Biodiversity in Macaronesia and West Africa
with the support of Botanical Gardens Conservation International (BGCI).
The conference will take place at the Gabinete Literario de Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, a historic building in the old Triana-Vegueta district of the city. The conference sessions will be held in the Gold Ball Room situated on the first floor of the building.
The themes of the Congress are:
Theme 1. Botanic gardens and taxonomy, cataloguing plant diversity
Theme 2. The role of molecular biology in understanding plant genetic diversity and its conservation
Theme 3. Conservation Science
Keynote speakers will include:
- Professor Steve Blackmore, Chairman of BGCI, Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh, UK
- Dr. Brett Jestrow, Fairchild Tropical Botanical Garden, Florida, USA
- Professor David Bramwell, Director, UNESCO/UNITWIN Chair for The Conservation of Biodiversity in Macaronesia and West Africa. Jardin Botanico Viera y Clavijo, Gran Canaria, SPAIN
- Dr. Gonzalo Nieto Feliner, Real Jardín Botánico de Madrid-CSIC, SPAIN
- Dr. Mike Fay, Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew, UK
- Dr. Matthew Jebb, National Botanical Gardens, Dublin, IRELAND
- Dr. Patrick Griffith, Montgomery Foundation Botanical Centre, Florida, USA
- Dr. Juli Caujape-Castells, Jardin Botanico Viera y Clavijo-CSIC Associated Institution, Cabildo de Gran Canaria, SPAIN
- Dr. Olga Martha Montiel - Vice President, Conservation and Sustainable Development, Missouri Botanical Garden USA
- Dr. Sara Oldfield, Secretary General, BGCI, London UK.
Call for papers
The call for papers is now open and the deadline for submission of abstracts is 1 March, 2014.
More information is available on the Congress website: http://3sbgc.grancanariacongress.com/