4th Global Botanic Garden Congress details announced
1st announcement for the 4th Global Botanic Gardens Congress, National Botanic Gardens Ireland, 13 - 18th June 2010.
The Congress title is: 'Addressing global change: a new agenda for botanic gardens.'
The Congress will include a diverse and stimulating programme of plenary keynote addresses, symposia and workshops on the most challenging current concerns of botanic gardens worldwide, including biodiversity conservation, climate change, sustainability, environmental education, innovative horticulture and collections management, and much more.
Specific opportunities to consider the following themes and priorities will be provided:
• The Global Strategy for Plant Conservation – 2010 and beyond
• Addressing the threat from invasive aliens, pests and diseases
• Building sustainable botanic gardens
• Frontiers of science and conservation biology research in botanic gardens
• Addressing climate change through botanic gardens
• Poverty alleviation – the special roles of botanic gardens in achieving the Millennium Development Goals
• Spreading the word – effective messages for change – Environmental education in botanic gardens
• Botanic garden horticulture – including collections management and priorities, as well as how botanic gardens must face the challenge of providing access to their collections and benefit sharing (ABS)
• Capacity and training – strengthening botanic gardens and their networks for the tasks ahead.