Director of Horticulture, Bok Tower Gardens, Florida, USA
This posting is no longer current. Please check out our Jobs & Opportunities Noticeboard for the latest postings.
Director of Horticulture
Bok Tower Gardens, a National Historic Landmark celebrating its 90th anniversary, is looking to fill the position of Director of Horticulture. This Olmsted designed meditative garden and wildlife sanctuary was created as a public garden surrounded by high pine forest and agricultural lands in the heart of Central Florida. The Director manages a department of 23 staff in horticulture, conservation and plant records in the care and maintenance of over 700 acres including: historic gardens, adjoining estate house and garden; newly built edible garden, ecosystem gardens, and nature play garden; preserve lands and agricultural lands; support nursery and greenhouses. The Gardens is a member of the Center for Plant Conservation since 1986 and is in a critical region with over 48 rare endemics. This is an exceptional opportunity for candidates with a background in design, science, historic preservation, and natural areas management. The Gardens strategic focus is horticulture as art, visitor experience, and experiential learning.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES:
· Must understand horticultural practices, landscape maintenance, public garden operations and function
· Drafting and design experience required
· General mechanical and construction knowledge required
· Excellent verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills, including effective presentation, negotiation, and problems solving skills
· Self-starter, creative, persuasive, and goal oriented
· Organized and detail oriented
· Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department and across departments
· Ability to work independently and lead team members effectively
· Ability to work a flexible schedule
· Ability to work under deadline pressure
· Ability to work with and supervise a diverse staff and volunteer group; ability to collaborate across departments and provide leadership and support as required on special events
· Proficiency in Windows PC software
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Master Degree in Plant Science field and/or minimum of seven years’ experience in horticulture and arboriculture practices and management is required.
Bok Tower Gardens offers a highly competitive salary and excellent benefit package.
Interested candidates may submit resumes and letters of interest by accessing our careers website:
This position will remain open until filled. Only qualified applicants will be contacted for interviews.
Bok Tower Gardens (BTG) is a Drug-Free workplace and an Equal Opportunity Employer – M/F/Vets/Disabled. We base all aspects of employment including the decision to hire, promote, discipline, or discharge, on merit, competence, performance, and business needs. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.