Institution Code: E
International Agenda Registration: Yes
BGCI Member: Yes
Visitors at Logan Botanic Garden
About the Logan Botanic Garden
The garden at Logan dates from 1869 when James McDouall married Agnes Buchan-Hepburn, a very keen gardener from Smeaton in East Lothian. Agnes began to experiment by planting more tender species of plants. Her sons, Kenneth and Douglas, inherited her love of gardening and continued to develop the garden.
When Kenneth McDouall died, he left the Logan estate to his cousin, Sir Ninian Buchan-Hepburn, and in 1949 the estate passed to Mr Roland Olaf Hambro. Following the latter's death in the early 1960s, a charitable trust was set up to run the garden. However, the trust ran out of money, and the trustees gave the estate to the nation in 1969. In that year, Sir Ninian reacquired the house and policies, and the 1.5 hectare (3.5 acre) walled garden was given to the Royal Botanic Garden along with 5 hectares (12 acres) of woodland.
Over 50% of the plants at Logan are of known wild origin, and many of these are from the Southern Hemisphere. The garden is the most remarkable in Scotland for its exotic mixture of plants from Mexico, Chile, South Africa, Australasia and other temperate regions of the world. Nearly 40 species of gum tree (Eucalyptus) are grown at Logan including the smooth, white-limbed cabbage gum (E. pauciflora).
Logan Botanic Garden
Wigtownshire DG9 9ND United Kingdom
Telephone: 01776 860600
Fax: 01776 860333
Primary Email: firstname.lastname@example.org