Institution Code: GAMPH
International Agenda Registration: No
BGCI Member: Yes
About the Gampaha Botanic Gardens
The Garden was laid out in 1876 to introduce Para Rubber to Sri Lanka by the British rulers. In 1919 Rubber seedlings were imported from the Royal Botanic Garden, Kew and the Project was handed over to Muhandiram A. de Soyza who was the first OIC of the Garden. The trees blossomed in 1880 and from the next year Rubber seeds were distributed throughout the country as well as some other British colonies. Remnants of these first Rubber trees are new protected as a national monument.
Later the garden was developed as a standard Botanical Garden by adding and developing new plants and sections. Many of these trees of the 19th century are still available in the Garden. It now serves as a tropical low country Botanic Garden.
Gampaha Botanic Gardens
Telephone: +94 33 2316
Primary Email: firstname.lastname@example.org