Singapore Botanic Gardens
Institution Code: SING
BGCI Member: Yes
About the Singapore Botanic Gardens
The Singapore Botanic Gardens is a living monument to the the founding fathers of Singapore. The Gardens at its present site was founded in 1859 by an Agri-Horticultural Society. In 1874, the Society handed over management and maintenance of the site to the then British government. The scientific mission of the Gardens evolved when the colonial government assumed management and deployed Kew-trained botanists and horticulturists to administer the Gardens.
By the mid 1960s, the Gardens was taking a leading role in the greening of Singapore. To meet the need for urban landscapes and recreational areas, the Gardens' staff became involved in supplying planting material and in plant introduction to increase the variety and colour in road side and park plantings. In 1973, the Botanic Gardens merged with the Parks and Trees branch of the Public Works Department, which became the Parks and Recreation Department.
In June 1990, Singapore Botanic Gardens came under the management of the newly formed National Parks Board. The Gardens embarked upon a comprehensive improvement programme to bring it to the forefront of botanical and horticultural activity by the 21st century. In July 1996, the Ministry of National Development merged the National Parks Board and the Parks and Recreation Department into a single authority to look after the greening and beautification of Singapore. The name of the authority, a statutory board remains as National Parks Board.
The Singapore Botanic Gardens submitted its bid to become the country's first UNESCO World Heritage Site in Jan 2014. In July 2015, the Garden was inscribed as the first and only tropical botanic garden on UNESCO’s World Heritage List.
Recent attractions that were launched in the Gardens in 2010-2012 are the Healing Garden,Bukit Timah Entrance, Trellis Garden, Fragrant Garden and Foliage Garden. The Healing Garden was launched in November 2010 along with the first free Smartphone Healing Garden Application.
Singapore Botanic Gardens played host to the successful inaugural International Certificate in Botanic Garden Management in the Asia Pacific Region in March 2010. The Gardens had also hosted the 8th International Flora Malesiana Symposium in August 2010 which saw the highest participation from international taxonomists and botanists.
Future development in the Gardens are the Tyersall Learning Forest in an undeveloped land awarded to the Gardens in 2011, an extension of the Jacob Ballas Children's Garden and an ethnobotany garden.
Singapore Botanic Gardens
National Parks Board
1 Cluny Road
Singapore 259569 Singapore
Telephone: (65) 6471-7138
Fax: (65) 6473-7983
Primary Email: NPARKS_SBG_Visitor_Services@NPARKS.GOV.SG