Institution Code: MA
International Agenda Registration: No
BGCI Member: Yes
About the Real Jardin Botanico, CSIC
The foundation of the Royal Botanic Garden of Madrid was ordered by King Ferdinand VI in 1755 and, in the reign of Charles III, the Garden was installed in its present location, the Paseo del Prado in Madrid. The architects Francesco Sabatini and Juan de Villanueva took part in the design of the Garden’s new frame.
From the very beginning, the aim of the Garden was not only to exhibit plants, but to teach botanic, promote expeditions for the discovery of new plant species and classify them. Therefore, the Garden became accountable to the Scientific Research Superior Council (Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Científicas, CSIC) in 1939 and was declared Artistic Garden in 1942.
Nowadays, the 20 acres of the Royal Botanic Garden of Madrid are divided into three areas. Some of the most important buildings in the Garden are the Villanueva Pavilion, the Graells Greenhouse and the Exhibition Greenhouse, which was inaugurated in 1993. The Exhibition Greenhouse reflects faithfully the essence and spirit of this institution. In this greenhouse, more than a thousand of species are cultivated in three different modules: tropical, desert and warm-weather species. The Exhibition Greenhouse was built with modern materials and uses the latest clean energy technologies.
The Garden also houses an important botanical research centre equipped with the latest technology and a herbarium with more than a million of sheets. All theses resources are used to develop different botanical researches, mainly on Spanish and American flora.
Real Jardin Botanico, CSIC
Plaza de Murillo 2,
Telephone: 34 (9)1 420 3017
Fax: 34 (9)1 420 0157
Primary Email: firstname.lastname@example.org