Institution Code: ABURI
International Agenda Registration: Yes
BGCI Member: No
MAIN ENTRANCE OF THE GARDENS
The Royal Palms were planted in 1895.
About the Aburi Botanic Gardens
Aburi Botanic Garden was officially opened in March 1890.
Aburi Botanic Garden has had many roles over the years including plant introduction and teaching scientific methods of agriculture but today is one of the world's 1,800 botanic gardens leading the fight to save plant diversity through, research, conservation of medicinal plants, plant multiplication, horticulture training and environmental education.
Prior to the establishment of the garden, the Gold Coast Government had built a sanatorium at the site for convalescing Government officials in 1875. In 1899, during the Governorship of His Excellency Sir W. Brandford-Griffith K.G.M.G., a few hectares of land was cleared in vicinity of the sanatorium to begin the Botanic Deparment.
The clearing was done under the supervision of a German serving the Basel Mission. In 1890 Mr. William Crowther, a student from the Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew arrived in the Gold Coast(now Ghana) as the first curator of the botanic garden.
Aburi Botanic Gardens
PO Box 23, ABURI, Akwiapim, Ghana.
P.O.Box M169 Accra Ghana
Telephone: 233 2176 4337
Fax: 233 2177 7821