Education centre > Education for climate change > The Fairchild Challenge/BGCI Global Option 2009/2010
The Fairchild Challenge/BGCI Global Option 2009/2010
BGCI teamed up for the second year running with The Fairchild Challenge to offer an exciting Global Option for students.
The Option was open not only to Fairchild Challenge sites but also to all sites participating in Plant Conservation Day.
This Challenge is now closed - see the winner!
To see the top 10 finalists - click here
To see the top 5 finalists - click here
The Challenge! CD cover design for single 'Footprints' by Storey
London-based band Storey, an exciting new talent on the UK music scene, are releasing their latest single ‘Footprints’ in honour of The Fairchild Challenge/BGCI Global Option.
Taken from Storey’s new album "Streets Will Fold", 'Footprints' is a vivid, youthful call-to-arms to tackle climate change. Take the challenge and go global with your genius by designing a front cover and attention-grabbing text for the ‘Footprints’ CD single.
The winning design will be featured on the cover of the CD single. When the single is released, complete with front cover designed by the winning student, it will be available as a CD and as a download from the following websites: Storey, iTunes, The Fairchild Challenge and BGCI.
There will also be one Fairchild Challenge site winner who will receive a framed copy of their design alongside a signed copy of the CD single ‘Footprints.'
How does my site get involved? (For Guidelines for Schools click here)
A) If you already host the Fairchild Challenge (FC) you can select this Global Option as one of your options (to do this contact Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden for more information.
B) If you plan to run a Plant Conservation Day (PCD) event in 2010 then:
How to participate:
• Read the lyrics (click here to download) for the song. Think about the words and carry out some research on the topic of footprints from an environmental/ecological perspective.
• On 8 ½” x 11” (20cm x 29.5cm) white, unlined paper create a 5” x 5” (13cm x 13cm) colour design for the front cover of the soon-to-be released ‘Footprints’ CD single. The design should convey a clear message related to the theme of an ecological footprint.
• Entries must reflect the mission of The Fairchild Challenge and BGCI and include both the Fairchild Challenge sunburst logo and BGCI logo (both available on respective websites).
• Original, hand-rendered or computer-generated work is acceptable. Note: If selected, students may be asked to provide computer-generated designs in electronic format.
• On a separate 8 ½” x 11” (20cm x 29.5cm) sheet of paper, provide a typed or neatly handwritten paragraph of no more than 100 words explaining how individuals can reduce their footprint.
• Designs will be judged on artistry, originality, creativity, technical ability, appeal, and relevance to theme.
How to submit your entry:
1) Fairchild Challenge participants
2) Plant Conservation Day participants