Terms of Reference
Terms of Reference have been developed to clarify the roles and responsibilities of the Regional and National Coordinators.
Regional Coordinator - Terms of Reference
- Identify, through consultation, National Coordinators.
- Provide efficient communication between the Secretariat and the region.
- Maintain an up-to-date list of National Coordinators contact details.
- Collate reports of National Coordinator activities and report to the Secretariat.
- Identify opportunities for regional meetings.
- Coordinate and support the activities of the National Coordinators.
- Represent the region or identify alternate (selected from National Coordinators) representation, when required, at ABGN Steering Committee meetings.
- Promote and support agreed ABGN work plans within the region.
Identify opportunities for projects, activities and fundraising to support ABGN goals and objectives.
- Act as an ambassador for the ABGN, promoting awareness and support of ABGN goals and objectives at the regional and global levels.
- Perform any other duties as required by the Steering Committee.
National Coordinator - Terms of Reference
- Coordinate completion of botanic gardens needs assessments
- Consolidate and maintain the national list of botanic gardens and associated contact details within the country
- Encourage the relevant authority to designate national GSPC focal point
- Coordinate and ensure the timely submission of annual reports to the Regional Coordinator
- Plan and facilitate meetings of national botanic gardens
- Strengthen cooperation and communication between national botanic gardens
- Monitor progress within the country with regard to the implementation of the 16 targets of the African Botanic Gardens Network
- Communicate target implementation progress with the Regional Coordinator
- Represent the region at Steering Committee meetings, as and when required
- Encourage national botanic gardens to commit themselves towards the implementation and monitoring of the International Agenda for Botanic Gardens for Conservation
- Encourage all national botanic gardens to become members of BGCI
- Communicate with national GSPC and CBD focal points
- Encourage national botanic gardens to contribute towards the African Botanic Gardens Network Bulletin
Footnote: National botanic gardens refers to all botanic gardens, as defined by BGCI, present within an individual country.